In order to bring you the best possible user experience, this site uses Javascript. If you are seeing this message, it is likely that the Javascript option in your browser is disabled. For optimal viewing of this site, please ensure that Javascript is enabled for your browser.
 EMAIL TO FRIEND     |      PRINTER FRIENDLY     |    
          advertisement

Pheochromocytoma

Also called: Pheochromocytosis, Pheo, Adrenal Gland Tumor

- Summary
- About pheochromocytoma
- Risk factors and causes
- Signs and symptoms
- Diagnosis methods
- Treatment and prevention
- Questions for your doctor

Reviewed By:
Sumit Verma, M.D., FACC
Kerry Prewitt, M.D., FACC
Stephen D. Shappell, M.D., FACC, FCCP, FACP

Summary

Pheochromocytoma is an abnormal group of cells (tumor) that secretes hormones that may raise blood pressure. Pheochromocytomas may appear singly or in groups. In about 90 percent of cases, these tumors develop in the abdomen, most often in the adrenal glands near the kidneys. They may also appear in the chest or neck. About 90 percent of pheochromocytomas are benign. The remaining tumors are cancerous and may spread throughout the body.

Pheochromocytomas are rare. They are estimated to occur in less than 1 percent of paHypertension is the medical term for high blood pressure (the force of blood against artery walls).tients with high blood pressure. About 800 new cases are diagnosed each year in the United States, with most occurring in patients between the ages of 30 and 50.  Doctors may test for this condition if people are not responding to blood pressure medication or are experiencing certain symptoms (e.g., headaches, dizziness, palpitations).

Any diagnosis of pheochromocytoma will be immediately followed by tests to exactly locate the tumor(s). After the tumor is located, the physician will attempt to determine if it is benign or cancerous.

The standard treatment for pheochromocytoma is surgery after the patient has been stabilized with medication. Stabilization usually includes blood pressure medications to prevent medical emergencies related to elevated blood pressure.  Patients with cancerous tumors may also receive chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy.

About 75 percent of patients will no longer have high blood pressure after treatment of the pheochromocytoma. For the remaining 25 percent, their high blood pressure is usually controllable with medications and other conventional treatments.

page 1 of 7 | Next Page




Review Date: 02-28-2007
Video

While the exact causes of high blood pressure can remain unknown, it's clear that two...

Sharon suffered with high blood pressure, cholesterol and anxiety. So doctor Jane Sadler,...

Chronic insomnia coupled with sleeping less than 5 hours a night...

Whether you're anxious, irritable, angry or suffering from insomnia,...

A condition called pre-eclampsia, which affects between 5 and 8...

Researchers discover marker that can warn pregnant women of...

Advice From Dr. Nancy Snyderman

Dr. Nancy Snyderman

Helpful tips and information on weight loss

Get answers from an expert
advertisement
advertisement

YourTotalHealth      

Home  |  Health Centers  |  Health A-Z  |  Staying Healthy  |  Diet & Fitness  |  Woman & Family  |   |   |  

also on iVision:  |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

 |   |  Site Map  |   | 

Copyright (c) 2000-2009 iVision Inc. All rights reserved. The information provided on this site is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition.