In order to bring you the best possible user experience, this site uses Javascript. If you are seeing this message, it is likely that the Javascript option in your browser is disabled. For optimal viewing of this site, please ensure that Javascript is enabled for your browser.

The following is an Editorial Resource from YourTotalHealth.

ulcerative colitis questionIs it time to find a new doctor?

I have been having upper right quadrant abdominal pain for 3 weeks to a month. When I saw the gastroenterologist he found a spot in the center of my upper abdomen that was sore when he touched it. He did not probe any other part of my abdomen and ordered a upper endoscopy. I had the test yesterday and all it showed was "mild erythema in the antrum", so then they did a biopsy.

The only conversation I had with the doctor was before the procedure when he asked me how my abdominal pain was, and the instructions I received after were not very clear. So what do I do now? I feel like the gastro doesn't even care, because he doesn't seem to be trying to get to the source of the problem.


AnswerI recommend that you see a new specialist. It is important to select a doctor who starts out taking a good history of your medical problem and does a thorough exam. By the end of the visit, the doctor should have a list of possible diagnoses and a plan for how they will make the diagnosis. If your doctor has not done this then it is time to seek a new physician. Your primary care doctor can help with that decision. Ask your doctor who they would send a family member to see if that family member has abdominal pain.

Other ways to check are to ask your local medical society. There are also web sites that seek the opinion of doctors and nurses and ask the same question; who do you send your family members for medical problems. Make sure if you use the internet that you have a reputable site. Good luck with your search.

—Dr. Silverman

What's Next: Medications During Pregnancy


Review Date: December 03, 2009


Ask the Expert

ulcerative colitisGot a question? Dr. Ann Silverman, Director of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center at Henry Ford Hospital in West Bloomfield, MI, will answer your IBD questions every week on the message board.

Home  |  Health Centers  |  Health A-Z  |  Staying Healthy  |  Diet & Fitness  |  Woman & Family  |   |   |  

also on iVision:  |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

 |   |  Site Map  |   | 

Copyright (c) 2000-2009 iVision Inc. All rights reserved. The information provided on this site is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition.